Re: Virtual Machine Version

The next time I happened to reboot the computer I did find a grub menu pop up and it did list the Secured_OS. But, it was for booting the USB drive, not the partition sad . The second USB stick does not open during a LiveUSB desktop session with GParted. Next I'll try loading it with two SecuredOSes; one SecuredOS for Live, the other for dd. Hopefully, SecuredOS will allow USB mounting for me to access the .raw file. Because the USB drive did show up in the /dev directory, just not the /media directory, what I tried twice already was with $ sudo dd if=/dev/sdc of=/dev/sda3    (/dev/sdc was the USB drive with SecuredOS while /dev/sdb was the USB drive with the Live GParted running; and /dev/sda3 is the blank partition waiting for SecuredOS), one time with the .raw file on the /dev/sdc, the other time with the LiveUSB SecuredOS files written by ImageWriter from the .raw file first. I'm not supposed to boot into the USB drive through the grub menu in order for the goal of booting into the partition to magically work and update the grub menu again to use the partition instead somehow, am I?

Last edited by tau (2012-09-06 04:57:41)

So did you succeeded writing the raw file to the partition for it? If yes and you still are able to boot your primary OS Ubuntu - copy paste here the contents of this file /etc/default/grub

After that we will make a menu entry for Secure OS.

I'm looking at this article:
http://tombuntu.com/index.php/2011/09/2 … ntu-11-04/

I have found that dd can not be used to select a certain partition, it does not discriminate between such, so I put the thing on my whole hard drive after I used GParted to merge the extra partition. Thanks for putting GParted on SecuredOS, by the way, it helped a lot; I did not know it was there. I was able to boot into the Live desktop once from my hard drive without the USB drives attached, though the start menu only showed the first two menu items, so I rebooted. Then I was unable to reach the Live desktop again; it was like the runlevel was set to console again because there was no graphical login and the console login or startx did not work, just like before. The next thing I'll have to do before trying this again is install another OS hmm .

netseclteam wrote:

If yes and you still are able to boot your primary OS Ubuntu - copy paste here the contents of this file /etc/default/grub

After that we will make a menu entry for Secure OS.

I'm looking at this article:
http://tombuntu.com/index.php/2011/09/2 … ntu-11-04/

This article does not show how to add menu items, which I think would be the $ sudo update-grub    terminal, because it senses the available menu items automatically, which I did while attempting to install SecuredOS. The article only shows how to switch between the current menu items between once ($ grub-reboot number_of_menu_item_order) or permanently ($ sudo grub-set-default number_of_menu_item_order).

Last edited by tau (2012-09-06 15:03:26)

It looks like I'll have to wait for there to be boot options on at least one of the ISOs before I can use NetSecL or what have you. I'm going to try Qubes OS now smile .

Actually I got a reply from suse studio. And after I tested I was able to pass a boot parameter. I tried on the Live CD/DVD, just write nomodeset in the BootOptions field and hit enter on the Secure OS.

Great, please do so to the 'ISO image' so that I can set up multiple partitions and use the Live Installer. The 'Preload ISO' would allow me to only use the entire drive, hence the "Warning: Overwrites all data on the target hard drive." Adding the Live Installer to the 'USB & disk image' as I suggested, probably could only install the same way I did, which might be why it wasn't added to it already. Furthermore, maybe the reason that the Preload ISO does not contain the Live Installer is because it is incompatible with "performing automated system installs/preloads"? So, manually adding the boot option to the ISO image for CD/DVDs (in my case the smaller CD) would be the best. I can use UNetBootin for it to transfer to USB smile .

Last edited by tau (2012-09-06 19:13:14)

->Adding the Live Installer to the 'USB & disk image' as I suggested
As I said before it is not possible.

I tested and you can pass the option also to the preload format during boot again by writing nomodeset. But I am not sure IF you can pass the parameter when you use Unetbootin, just burn it.

Also "If you have more than one disk available, you can choose it from the list:"
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_5_1pXrfRcyg/T … choice.png

So what's the issue?

"As I said before it is not possible" I'm glad to hear you agree with the reason why it is not possible that I gave, but I am unaware of you stating the fact before now. If you want to point it out to me, I'd be happy to see it.

The issue is that I do not have more than one disk available and the only build that lets one place a boot option is not meant for hard drives at all and is absolutely incompatible (e.g. I can only run the OS for one session until the graphical login runlevel goes missing like when I had the bug before, when you had selected the console runlevel instead of graphical login, that is exactly how the bug manifests itself--again. Besides the start menu never completely loads, the only options which show are the run dialog and logout).

Are you saying I have to burn as in, to a CD/DVD? I'd have to install a DVD player for that. I'll try using ImageWriter for the Preload ISO, instead; by converting the .iso into a .img first to be compatible with ImageWriter. So far ImageWriter has been the only thing that shows the boot options (besides the possibility of DVD) and UNetBootin is warned against because of its different menu--a menu, perhaps, where the boot options are supposed to be! Ah-hah, hope it works. (I really don't want to install a DVD player).

Last edited by tau (2012-09-07 01:54:01)

I mentioned about the Live Installer in mail, when you send me the picture of the option which is enabled anyway. Nothing can be done here.

Yeah about the DVD player, sorry about that I forgot. But I think the problems start from using Unetbootin. You actually can try booting the ISOs from your hard drive - through grub.
Look here:
"
submenu "My ISOs" {
menuentry "Natty_test.iso
isofile=natty-desktop-amd64.iso
loopback loop (hd1,6)/iso/$isofile
linux (loop)/casper/vmlinuz boot=casper iso-scan/filename=/iso/$isofile noprompt noeject
initrd (loop)/casper/initrd.lz
}
menuentry 'ISO SystemRescue sdb5-vm' {
isofile=systemrescuecd-x86-2.0.1.iso
loopback loop (hd1,5)/$isofile
linux (loop)/isolinux/rescue64 setkmap=us isoloop=/$isofile
initrd (loop)/isolinux/initram.igz
}
}

"

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=10720316

And here is the suggestion form suse studio:
"you can just dd the isos to the usb stick and it will work. And that'll also allow for
adding boot parameters..."

I tried installing again. This time I wrote down the bugs that happened like you asked for.

DD apparently does discriminate between partitions because I tried $ sudo dd if=/dev/sdc of=/dev/sda    , which wrote 4 GB to the hard drive. Because I knew that Secured OS only takes up closer to 3 GB on the USB I tried it again after erasing the hard drive with GParted again, this time I tried $ sudo dd if=/dev/sdc1 of=/dev/sda    , which recorded 3.3 GB when it was done. This got me less far because, whereas last time I was able to boot into the hard drive one time, this time I wasn't even able to restart nor did anything else work while still in the Live desktop session; it all froze after I finished the dd command. Now, I'm in the middle of trying $ sudo dd if=/dev/sdc1 of=/dev/sda1    . All of those commands are incomplete actually (e.g. I add ... bs=4k conv=fdatasync    at the end of them).

Once I enter the password for sudo dd the first error pops up that says, "sudo: unable to mkdir /var/lib/sudo: No space left on device". Later when I try to boot the hard drive that I just dded I get the console login that says "linux login: systemd-readahead-collect[2227]: Failed to write pack file." Those are the two errors, I hope that helps.

Sorry, I did not remember your statement. But, I'll try dding the ISO with the live installer per OpenSuSe's suggestion, thank you smile .

Last edited by tau (2012-09-07 20:46:01)

I try to dd from Windows but the of part where I express the of part of dd (e.g. of=J:    of=\\.\J:    of=//./J:    of=/cygdrive/j    or of=/cygdrive/j/    ) do not work and return an error that says, J is a directory. Yesterday I spent the day downloading cygwin and then setting up the path environment to include the cygwin commands, which work now. Before I did this the command line would have said, e.g. dd, is not an external or internal command, but I fixed that and am now able to run linux terminals in the Windows command prompt with success. Success, except for I still get this error where it says the dd of=... is a directory instead of just outputting dd iso to that directory.

I'm just going to get another new processor, this time with no integrated graphics. I have now tried Qubes and it runs into the same startx problem I've found here. I think linux just does not support APUs. I'll have to sell my processor, motherboard, and computer case on ebay because I've run out of the deadline to return them. Before I go and purchase an AMD FX processor with AM3+ motherboard, do you think doing so will solve my problem?

I did some changes. I got the size of the USB image smaller. I didn't got time to test it out good, but I think it should work. One thing now the appliance is updated with 12.2 OpenSuse packages and it might look different during boot - for instance I was able to directly edit the grub menu before boot (don't remember the key combinations but try Alt+F1, F1 or Shift). How is the graphic card in the new Mother Board integrated or separate? I would make a research in google lets say OpenSuse 12.2 + your mother board model and try to see what kind of issues the other had if any. I'm not sure but maybe if you buy only a cheap graphic card your issues might be resolved.

In the current computer with all the problems I have an AMD A6-3650 APU with integrated 6530 HD graphics onto the same silicon die as the CPU. The motherboard has an A75 chipset and is made by ASRock. The sockets for the motherboard and processor are FM1.

The parts which I'm thinking about getting is AMD FX-4100 CPU with a ASRock 990FX motherboard chipset with the AM3+ socket. But, you're saying I may just need to buy a $65-100 Radeon HD 6670 graphics card instead of the $230 for the new MB and CPU (not to mention the new case to fit the two parts), that would be nice wink .

I'll be trying out the new image tomorrow, I will be busy today sad .

I bought a graphics card today offline, installed it, and set the BIOS to run it. I also bought a 32GB USB 3.0 flash drive. I'm in the process of formatting it to later put the SecuredOS 4.0.13 on it and then boot it up. Wish me luck.

Well congratulations on the new hardware and lots of luck with it and no issues smile

Thank you for the luck wishes. But, I've got good news and I've got bad news. Bad news is the latest version of SecuredOS fails to load the SUMO Radeon driver. Good news is you may just need to use a different driver or let it automatically detect the graphics card now that I switched to a new one. The other bad news is ImageWriter does not recognize my new USB drive, so now I can only use UNetBootin without boot options; and I still don't know how to handle dd from within Windows to flash my USB drive with. I get the SUMO driver error before the UNetBootin menu is exited, so there's no time for shift to enter grub.

Well, for windows use this: https://github.com/downloads/openSUSE/k … Writer.exe
If it doesn't recognize the USB pull it out and plug it again - it has to appear as device in explorer. About the driver I added it, but what troubles me is that you say it didn't even start booting the OS usually this driver is for the Xorg session. I read this and added the driver:
http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:AMD_fglrx
It takes time to build the image a bit longer than usual, but I will let you know when it is done.

I reached a point of giving up and tried to see if Ubuntu would work with nomodeset and it did. I've got my hard drive running again. I took the time to write down the boot options that worked with Ubuntu. By the way, I did it with UNetBootin, yes I finally found out that UNetBootin does permit boot options. In the UNetBootin menu I press tab and before I wasn't able to get "nomodeset" without quotes to work in it with either SecuredOS or Qubes, but Ubuntu had "--" before you type and puting "--nomodeset" instead of "nomodeset" worked. I then tried to do this on NetSecL, SecuredOS, and Qubes and was able to get it working on Qubes with three dashes and a space, "--- nomodeset". It works with Ubuntu with two dashes and no space "--nomoceset" and Qubes with three dashes with spaces surrounding them " --- nomodeset". Therefore, I believe I just haven't found the right syntax (grammar) for OpenSuse based boot options. The complete list of boot options on the Ubuntu LiveISO is "> /ubnkern initrd=/ubninit file=/cdrom/preseed/ubuntu.seed boot=casper quiet splash --nomodeset". After I got the Qubes nomodeset to work I ran into another problem with it asking for a driver because it could not detect the hard drive; Ubuntu could detect the hard drive and Ubuntu installed fine, maybe Qubes doesn't support USB but only DVD, or maybe Qubes will install now that it would detect an operating system (Ubuntu) already installed?

After installing Ubuntu I tried to get dnscrypt-proxy, but the github page lacks the download for linux! WTF? It's gone, it's not there anymore. Does OpenDNS only support Windows, Mac, and Android now? With such a line up currently, they do not even have all the signatures to match those limited support downloads, which is another problem.

Last edited by tau (2012-09-09 22:26:14)

The hard driver - well it is dected by th Kernel so most probably, if there are other kernels you with Qubes you will have to try them. If not I guess you will have to write at their forum or whatever they have.

About dnscrypt-proxy - well you can always compile from source.

That link about fglrx/Catalyst and free radeon you gave me says my TURKS hardware is supported. Were you even the one responsible for SecuredOS loading the SUMO driver and failing to do so in the first place when it is supposed to load the TURKS driver since I got the discrete 6670 graphics card? Is it possible to add the driver so that it will load by adding a package for it in SuSeStudio? If not, I suppose that I won't be receiving an updated version of SecuredOS you promised me a couple comments ago that you were building and it was taking a while to finish. Are you still working on it?

I'm thinking of cloning your NetSecL so that I can stop wasting your time by making the changes I need myself with my SuSeStudio, good idea? I'd probably still need to ask you lots of questions, but at least I'd be stealing your grsecurity files without having to compile them myself wink . But, I would probably compile it myself anyway now that SuSeStudio updated its own kernel to 3.4.6. Then you could clone mine once I'm done with compiling grsec-3.4.6 and uploading it to SuSeStudio to steal the up to date grsec kernel that matches the OpenSuSe 12.2 repositories. Hey, that reminds me of how I wanted to help out by updating the kernel for you with grsec, I guess it's possible, how I just explained, afterall smile . How did you modify the grsecurity instructions in order to suit your needs for using it on an .rpm distro when the documentation specifies .deb instructions?

The bad thing about building from source is that the packages (e.g. dnscrypt-proxy) are impossible to remove once it is done. How are you supposed to update dnscrypt-proxy if you can't remove the old version?

Last edited by tau (2012-09-13 22:55:16)

Yes I built it, but i didn't share it. Now I shared it you can check. I'm in doubt if it works, if you wish clone and change as you want. Well these questions on building from source etc. They are all answered, just have to reach out and read. If everything was figured out it wouldn't be fun. But you can read this and it will answer many of your questions:
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/

Look also at this http://www.gnu.org/software/automake/ma … STDIR.html