Topic: Virtual Machine Version

I tried to install NetSecL OS 4.0 in a virtual machine with Yaste live install. By the time it started to erase partition and proceeded after a confirmation to format the disk and then install the OS it had already produced an error dialog; with each of the steps that I note there was another error failure to complete those steps and I confirmed that I wanted to try to continue despite the errors. I'm new to this virtual machine thing, am I not supposed to actually install it and instead, just suspend and resume whenever I want to deal with it? Wouldn't this mean that virtual machine useage does not allow one to install non-prepackaged software or updates to existing packages? Otherwise, what exactly are the steps to install the OS on a virtual machine after I get it booted into the LiveVM?

Last edited by tau (2012-08-30 03:18:53)

Re: Virtual Machine Version

LiveVM? OK, I think I understood you. In your previous post you said that you already use the virtual machine, you downloaded the ready one from opensuse - and yes you are not supposed to install anything smile. Just use it, suspend it and then run it again whenever you want - it is like a PC but a virtual one smile. You can install packages and uninstall as you wish there is Software management in Yast.

Looks like I don't need to run the virtual machine any longer anyway because I found out why my monitor slept. It is because I need to set nomodeset as a boot option during the load menu. Here is more information which I might need to be able to see everthing without the monitor sleeping past reboots (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1613132). I was able to boot into the SecuredOS version that you made just for me and was unsure if it worked properly because it made me log straight into a shell that I was unable to reach before and didn't know how to install from there because my attempts to start Yast were unsuccessfull. So, I will be buying a new USB drive now to fit the full NetSecLOS version so that I may boot into a LiveUSB desktop to install with Yast from there. I'm going to private message you where I found out what to do because the instruction contain personal information. I think you made only the Secured OS boot into a command shell based on the troubleshooting conversation we had, so how do I go from command shell to install? Will I need to write nomodeset into grub for the display to keep not sleeping past reboots like the link I posted in this comment states, or will I just have to find out? Should that be something I add to grub according to the link's instructions, or you do? If you do it I think that means it would make nomodeset for everyone and that is probably not efficient for everyone who already has a specific graphics driver working, so it would just be my job if I need to do so, right? In conclusion, I think all I need now is for you to go into SuSeStudio and edit the minimal Secured OS to use the Live desktop so that I know how to install it.

Last edited by tau (2012-08-31 22:41:36)

You said you see the boot menu? Right? Just write this:
http://en.opensuse.org/images/thumb/8/8 … xample.jpg

Other things to try:
http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Configuring_graphics_cards

That's all.

Let me know if it works,
Yuriy

It did not work. I think I was not being clear enough. I already tried nomodeset, which is how I was able to say I fixed the sleeping monitor bug. This issue is solved already, since my last comment.

The issue that is not solved happens in the next step that I was not able to reach before because of the last bug. Now that it is solved with nomodeset I come across another screen that says the following,

Welcome to NetSecLHint: Num Lock off
linux login: [ 113.258313] systemd-readahead-collect[467]: Failed to write pack file.
linux login:_

#So, I write tux at Linux login,

linux login: tux
Password:

#So, I write linux as the password. This is the password isn't it?

#Then, it goes,

Have a lot of fun...
-bash: /usr/bin/manpath: Permission Denied
-bash: /usr/bin/sed: Permission Denied
-bash: /usr/bin/sed: Permission Denied
-bash: /usr/bin/tty: Permission Denied
linux:~>_

Last edited by tau (2012-09-02 00:07:54)

Ok, great so it boots and you are able to see it.  Strange you get those - I don't get those errors, but try as root after that you go into graphical mode with startx.
>  Failed to write pack file. - Hmmmmmmm, doesn't sound right ...
Well if you want to install trough USB I think it would be best to use the LiveDVD you now know what option is needed to boot and it directly boots graphical. I can also build the Secure OS as a LiveDVD if you like?

Try the Live CD version
https://susestudio.com/a/EmL6GN/secured-os
Burn it or transfer it on the USB.

This is correct, it boots now and I am able to see it.

Thank you for making the Secured OS a LiveCD, that is what I wanted. I will try it now.

By the way, back when I was trying the preload ISO for Secured OS I actually did already try logging in as root with the password linux. I tried the startx, sudo startx, start x, and sudo start x while logged in as root and tux and none of the commands worked. Okay, so I just tried using the LiveUSB Secured OS and it falls asleep after the UNetBootin menu; the LiveUSB of Secured OS does not show a grub menu before my monitor sleeps like the Preload ISO used to. I'm curious which setting has changed this? I think it may have been changing from Preload. All you had to change was Configuration>Appliance>Additional Options>Add Live Installer to CDs and DVDs; but I'm not sure if it should be included or excluded in order to show the boot options. It seems you changed more than this because now I don't see the menu where I can enter boot options this time. Was the additional change you incurred by Configuration>Startup>Default Runlevel? It needs to be the same as it was before when I was able to enter boot options like nomodeset. I'm willing to do a clean installation with the Preload, especially since it might be the only way to set boot options. I already erased the extra partition I had in place for it to be ready to install to anyway.

Last edited by tau (2012-09-03 02:16:52)

Well there you have it in 3 different format preload, live and for USB

https://susestudio.com/a/EmL6GN/secured-os

I changed back the run level to console, I haven't changed anything else. The formats are automatically generated. Boot options is something I can not directly control from this environment so it is the way they generate it, if they change the environment nothing can be done. I noticed something like this actually when I built NetSecL OS 4 - you can only put predefined options.

I discovered which one out of preload, live, or USB is the one with boot options because I tried all of them. It is the USB one (so i.e. how you can directly control the boot options environment, by building the USB appliance that you just did along with a couple others). I have a couple pictures I will send you of the errors I get when trying # startx    while signed into root with the linux password. But, I think I just need it (specifically the USB appliance) built one more time which might surpass the errors or avoid them. This time build it with the runlevel set to 5: Graphical Login, please. Then we'll see if this will work.

I switched back to Graphical. Try now.

You/I/We did it! I'm reporting from the LiveUSB right now. If you plan on making more FAQs for this latest succes, be sure to say that if one encounters a black screen try using the USB & disk image download (with graphical runlevel and Live Installer, more on this later) in order to be able to type and enter boot options like nomodeset like I do.

But, I'm sorry to say that it looks like you forgot to add Configuration>Appliance>Additional Options>Add Live Installer to CDs and DVDs. If you check it on SuSeStudio and you find it says it was on with version 4.0.9, maybe the Live installer does not go on the USB build no matter what you try and only goes on the CD/DVD and Preload maybe? If that is the case, how do I install NetSecL from the Live desktop I have found my way into without a Live Installer from Yast because I can not find how to install NetSecL from Yast; it looks like Yast is missing the Live Installer sad .

Things I did differently in addition to using your update to Secured OS that includes the graphical login is that instead of uncompressing and untaring the download with $ tar xvzf foo.tar.gz    or $ tar -xvzf foo.tar.gz    I did $ tar -zxvf foo.tar.gz    which may do different stuff than the two former tar commands because they are the only two orders of letters which will not return an error and make a visible .raw file. Hmm, I should check if the md5sums of the /dev/sdb and the .img ($ mv fu.raw fu.img) file are the same with this new $ tar -zxvf foo.tar.gz    structure that the $ tar xvzf foo.tar.gz    and $ tar -xvzf foo.tar.gz    were unable to do... I'll let you know when I boot into my hard drive again once I'm off the Live Secured OS desktop because I'm still on it--enjoying the success smile ! Another thing step I did differently is the way I formated my USB drive before using ImageWriter, which may not matter as much because ImageWriter probably formats it itself anyway, but this time the different part I did there is format to ext4 instead of all formats. All formats compatibility is what I had been formatting the USB  drive with before writing to it, but for the reason I stated previously this difference in procedure probably didn't aid our success? So, in degrees of certainty of why I am now able to both keep a waking monitor and experience the LiveUSB desktop is because of using the USB & disk image, then the graphical login runlevel, on to the different tar terminal, and finally with the least amount of certainty formatting to ext4. Let me know if you want me to try all the consequences of the last two procedures in order to give the FAQ the exact information one needs to succeed like I did (e.g. or you could just make sure to instruct  $ tar -zxvf foo.tar.gz    right off the bat because the instructions on the download website do not say which exact terminal to use; all it very vaguely says is to uncompress and untar, leaving the user up to find out how to do so specifically).

I think they remove it automatically so not much can be done here. The first thing that comes to my mind is to copy the raw image on the partition created for NetSecL from your existing OS like you did with the USB - worth a try.

"How to copy an image into hard disc

That is the same case as How to copy an image into the USB drive but with the difference that you need to boot with some external media, like another USB stick or livecd with the dd tool in it." from here http://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:SUSE_St … _hard_disc

netseclteam wrote:

I think they remove it automatically so not much can be done here. The first thing that comes to my mind is to copy the raw image on the partition created for NetSecL from your existing OS like you did with the USB - worth a try.

"How to copy an image into hard disc

That is the same case as How to copy an image into the USB drive but with the difference that you need to boot with some external media, like another USB stick or livecd with the dd tool in it." from here http://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:SUSE_St … _hard_disc

Wow, that is not going to work for me. I'm not going to use two computers to install NetSecL/SecuredOS. Slightly ridiculous sad ?

Last edited by tau (2012-09-04 20:26:20)

You don't need another computer to use the dd tool. Do the transfer the way you did to the USB.

Sorry, the instruction you gave say how to use netcat to install from another machine over a network.

So, if I'm to disregard the link and try to think about how to change the dd to USB into dd to partition it would be like the following, right? $ sudo dd if=/dev/sdb/Secured_OS.x86_64-4.0.9.raw of=/dev/sda2 bs=4k conv=fdatasync    where sda2 is the empty partition (i.e. once I make it again and then do $ df    again to see what it will actually be). I'll try it.

Try this should work, finally. The link was for the comment actually which got me to the idea of doing it the same way nothing more.

I tried to make an USB image with SuSe Studio to include the .raw file but it is not accepting any of my file uploads to the Studio, not from my file manager nor the download link for your appliance from the Studio itself. Even if I could I think I would still need to get a larger USB drive in order to fit the .raw file onto the USB within the Live Desktop.

Can I use dd to palimpsest the blank partition with the .raw file from within another partition that is on the same mounted drive or does the whole hard drive have to be unmounted to do what I need to with the extra partition? I tried this already and failed so I think I need instructions. Did I fail to dd the .raw file to one partition from another partition on the same drive because it isn't possible or did it not work because I need to format the new partition? If so, which format (e.g. ext4, unformatted, etc.) am I supported to make out of the unused partition with GParted Live and does that matter?

I don't think it is possible what you asking. Has dd ever even been used in the way you want me to?

Yeah sure dd can be used to clone OSes if it works on the USB it will work on a normal drive too. Hmmm Ok I would try this:
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/19141/cl … u-live-cd/
Put your flash drive in and mount it. Then do the transfer directly copy the one partition (USB) to the other as shown in the link. There really shouldn't be a problem with the file system but set the partition to ext4 (unformatted also should work).

I'm going to speak to SuSe Studio - to make some improvements. Clearly there are some cases that are not taken in the account during installation.

I spoke to SuSe Studio I really hope they do any ofmy suggestions, I have been requesting some improvemnts in the boot options since alot of time it is unfortunate that none of these came trough. I will wait for their reply. If not I'm  thinking of the following option, but I will need more time for this - I will manually edit the preload ISO and I will set this boot option (nomodeset) for you so you can install normally.

Yes, getting SuSe Studio to have boot options in all their builds would be nice. Then, I could use the Live Installer. I was thinking of asking you to ask SuSe Studio to get the Live Installer on the USB build, but putting boot options on the others is another way to solve that. I think you should wait for a reply on your suggestion, and if it is negative then wait for a reply on my suggestion to add the Live Installer to the USB build instead, before manually editing the Preload ISO yourself. I'm going to look at the instructions now big_smile .

The only thing I'm left that I need to understand is how set up dual booting because those instructions say how dd a whole hard drive, not only one of the partitions in a drive. I found another 4GB flash drive to put the SecuredOS onto. Then, I booted into the LiveUSB desktop of GParted. I'm to the point where I've used dd from the second USB stick with SecuredOS to copy it to the extra partition. Now, I just need to know how to make the two partitions cooperate and be aware of each other's existence. Do I edit grub? How? Which partition's/OSe's grub do I edit? Both?

Should I risk everything (my current Ubuntu OS) to follow the instructions completely by dding the whole drive after I make only one partition out of it and format it? I probably won't have to deal with grub then, right?

Last edited by tau (2012-09-06 01:16:17)