Re: Terminal Doesn't Work

Last edited by tau (2012-08-08 05:09:03)

I think these are two different concepts of security - for example yesterday I saw a very close aproach to what you are saying about Bedrock Linux. The idea of this distribution that I saw was to have an app server and have each app isolated from the rest of the OS. I'm not sure if this exactly will help it is like wearing condoms on each finger of your hands and hope you won't catch anything ... but well of course this might save some applications from infecting the main OS, but if the main OS is compromised nothing will help.

Nice analogy lol I was just thinking that Bedrock Linux has similar effects as 0install. While 0install ensures compatibility between the software and the libraries so that any (e.g. new) version doesn't break any package, Bedrock ensures compatibility between the software and the distro so any package can run together with any distro.

Before I try the new NetSecL version. I just installed Ubuntu and finally got dnscrypt-proxy to work. It was a problem with Ubuntu's dnsmasq program using 127.0.0.1, thus getting in the way of dnscrypt-proxy. I found followed some steps to get it working on a different port. Can you tell me if dnscrypt-proxy works with NetSecL OS? It probably won't have the fuss that I ran into. Also, can I install NetSecL OS 4.0 with a USB?

Last edited by tau (2012-08-10 19:07:12)

Thank you, unetbootin worked for me. I heard of it among the few other tools to make a flash drive bootable; but the name threw me off. "Boot from the Inter'net'?", I thought. I'll install it as soon as possible 8D . I'm figuratively drooling with anticipation. "Tasty treats," I think.

Last edited by tau (2012-08-13 09:35:54)

How well does the installation do with dual booting? I've never handled dual booting before. Is it hard to figure out for the first time or is everything pretty self explanatory and self contained? Does it automatically allocate the partition sizes while keeping the previous distro when I chose to go the path of dual booting? The installation instructions for NetSecL OS do not cover this path well (e.g. the screen shot only shows erasing the entire disk and there is a total lack of configuration compatibility outcome explanations with the dual boot options).

Well that's not a tragedy, you select a partition you want to install on (make sure you have a partition for that), install on it, then it goes directly in the OS then you can configure Grub through Yast.

I only have one partition now. Will the installer be able to set up another one for NetSecL OS?

You're saying I have to do something with the Yast manager after I install NetSecL OS on an extra partition; what would that be exactly?

I used GParted and was able to resize my partition with a GParted LiveUSB. But, even after buying a new computer and monitor to tix this bug I have where everytime I enter a LiveCD or LiveUSB for an operating system, after I select to do so with the grub menu, I get either a sleeping monitor or salt and pepper screen, depending on which monitor I use. I tried messing with the BIOS ACPI settings so that the monitor would not go to sleep, but either I do not know how to properly disabled sleep state (I noticed I did disable suspend state) or installing OSes is useless for me. I'm absolutely tired of buying hardware all to not fix the bugs I set out to avoid. I even tried every media available at susestudio--the "USB & disk image", the "ISO image", and the "Preload ISO". After I select Install NetSecL... or Default with the little menu with one other option nothing happens except a blank screen or black and white speckles that don't even dance around. mad

Last edited by tau (2012-08-16 20:53:44)

I'm really sorry to hear that. I guess this has to do with the Video drivers, my suggestion would be to try the drivers from the vendors site or try different screen modes with the vesa driver. Try this hit Alt + F1 (or Ctrl+C and then Alt+F1) this should open a terminal session you can mess around with the OS after that from terminal and with mc (Midnight Comander) or you can call yast from terminal it has all the configuration utilities you need. Hope this helps. Can you try for instance another live CD - Knoppix and see if it works with your screen?

So I thought on your problem. I drew some conclusions:
1. You said the GParted LiveUSB worked right? Boot it again and find out which graphic driver it uses and in which resolution it works from the xorg.conf file check in etc directory and then Xorg/X11 directory for that.
2. Were you able to install (not start the OS just did the install pass) from the preloaded ISO?

1. Yes, the Gparted LiveUSB worked. But, I was only able to find /etc/X11 not /etc/Xorg. In /etc/X11 I found /XuMCConfig and /Xwrapper.config but no xorg.conf and nothing that I was able to determine was the designation of a graphics driver in those files when I opened them with Leafpad. The resolution was 1920x1080 at 60.0Hz.

2. If anything I would be able to it the other way around; if I were to somehow manage to hit all the right buttons in spite of being blind because of the sleeping monitors then I would be able to start the OS without being blind--it is just the Live Install aspect that is not viewable, like all the parts on the PDF instructions for how to install NetSecL.

I started using a VGA cable for my new monitor instead of a HDMI and now it shows a green indicator, instead of red, on the System Settings/Monitors menu on Ubuntu, which probably means the monitor is better supported with the VGA cable than the HDMI. This is kind of confirmed because now that I have it connected through VGA it doesn't show salt and pepper when the old monitor goes to sleep during this bug, it just goes to sleep like the other monitor does too.

If you still want me to enter a terminal with alt+f1 I will need to know at what point and whether you request this for NetSecL or Gparted?

Last edited by tau (2012-08-18 00:14:17)

ok. Well I'm not sure this would really help but let's try that boot NetSecL Live wait a bit to be sure it loaded and then hit alt + f1 this should open a terminal from there (if it even opens a terminal) you will try to call yast and search for install. I'm not sure if that will work but it is worth a try. It is really strange that in the preload iso you are not able to see the installation ... - text mode should not require anything special as video resolution or even drivers. And maybe even blind folded you will be able to install it the only selection you make there is the partition and then hit the install so basically the selection of the partition is the tricky part, but you can recreate the situation in a Virtual Machine and see what you need to hit as buttons.

Last edited by tau (2012-08-21 04:44:49)

The ImageWriter tool, which it instructs to use, that I downloaded from Ubuntu Software Center (so it might be the wrong package than the one available by that name on OpenSuse) only recognizes .img files, but the USB Disk Image untars and ucompresses to a .raw file. So, I used the terminal instead and I get an error,

1. Download the USB disk image.
2. $ md5sum ~/Downloads/NetSecL_OS.x86_64-4.0.3.oem.tar.gz
3. Make sure the terminal output matches this 2297849bac81d9f477a1751fa37db4ad
4. $ tar xvzf ~/Downloads/NetSecL_OS.x86_64-4.0.3.oem.tar.gz
5. $ sudo dd if=~/Downloads/NetSecL_OS.x86_64-4.0.3.raw of=/dev/sdb bs=4k
6. $ md5sum ~/Downloads/NetSecL_OS.x86_64-4.0.3.raw
7 Make sure the terminal output matches the output from $ md5sum /dev/sdb

These are the steps I followed and I got an error.

What's the error?

Ok, the error was I ran out of disk space with the 32GB of the Ubuntu partition. My hard drive is 64 GB and as you know, I GParted it to 32GB to make room for NetSecL. So, I deleted the extra ISOs of NetSecL OS that I wasn't using to make room. Then I got past this step number 4 that had the error after I made some room. The next error I reached was with step number 7 and it does not produce an error dialog of course, because comparing the two md5sums are with my eyes. My 4GB USB drive was taken all up by step number 5, which I'm pretty sure is because step number 4 produces the 8.4GB .raw file. With this I found that my USB drive actually has room for 4.1GB because that is how much step 5 put on it, but that is irrelevant. It looks like I do need a larger USB drive, and a 16GB one at that because an 8GB one will not fit the 8.4GB of .raw LiveUSB media.

Sorry for not saying what the error was. I was going to add the information by editing my post after I reproduced the bug again to be sure about what the error was exactly, but it turns out you responded sooner than expected. I'll be sure to make note of the business I plan to iron out before finishing a thought in my messages in case you stay up later than usual again lol big_smile .

Last edited by tau (2012-08-22 00:28:54)

Ok so you say no room on the USB. It really is strange that SuSe studio calculate the compressed size aspecially for the USB, well I guess you will need a larger USB after all - but you know don't buy it only of it is for the instalation, buy it for yourself - something you will need in future.

What's another $30 for a 32GB flash drive to probably be able to install any OS I want, because I try out a lot, when I already spent close to $700?

You're right, SuSe studio should mention the extra space required, but even since they don't you still can on NetSecL.com.

In order to download NetSecL OS from SuseStudio I had to sign up for it myself. I can see how fun and easy it is to create my own OS if I ever wanted to. I wonder if creating my own OS with just the features I like (grsecurity and dnscrypt-proxy) and no more (e.g. the penetration tools) would be able to get me an OS that is small enough to not need a new flash drive. Do you recommend I go this route? Does Yaste come with the kernel swapping tool and I just need to include the files in a special directory? Do I have to install OpenSuse first to compile grsecurity? Once I compile and then "make", which of the packages that are outputed do I need to upload to SuseStudio? For instance, if I were to compile and make the grsecurity kernel under Ubuntu there would be made 4 packages to choose from (firmware, system.map, vmlinuz, and config, if I remember correctly). Do I upload them all? To the same directory? Which directories for which files to be easily seen by the Yaste boot manager?

Last edited by tau (2012-08-22 08:50:26)

Ahhh, you didn't have to do that for me. But, thank you. I will try it out tomorrow. I don't suspect that I will have problems with XOrg because I think that the displays slept was because of an incomplete load from the lack of files in my small USB drive space; it may not have had all the necessary files to even load XOrg is what I'm saying. However, opening up a terminal and typing $ startx    after I boot up and install NetSecL, which I might have to use Alt+F1 from the lack of GUI or display manager, seems easy enough. I'll let you know how it goes later smile , because tonight is getting kinda late sad .

I ended up doing all the steps last night and waited for the monitor to awake through this morning, but it still did not. I was finally able to get a successfull diaolog for flashing the USB drive with the .img file with ImageWriter and the amount of bytes written with the dd terminal also matched (before they showed plus or minus one byte "recorded in" than "recorded out" because of the lack of space that is no longer a problem). But, the SuSe instructions do not mention having to convert it to a .img file before using an ImageWriter package. The real issue isn't even that, it is that either way, whether using the GUI ImageWriter or the dd terminal without first converting the .raw file to .img according to the instructions, I get a mismatch of md5sums between $ sudo md5sum /dev/sdb    (I have to use sudo in order to work, I think because it won't mount the drive otherwise) and $ md5sum ~/Downloads/Secured_OS.x86_64-.4.0.2.raw     (I also tried .img with this command). I believe the reason these md5sums do not match is because using dd, which even the ImageWriter tool uses, changes each of the .img and .raw files into directories (i.e. it uncompresses the archive) once it is placed on the USB drive. I think this is needed to be able to boot the USB with what is on it. So, I don't know why SuSe includes the step to compare md5sum hashes in their instructions unless I could get a working installer if they turned out to match. Therefore, I'm totally amiss as to why it still does not install? o_O

Last edited by tau (2012-08-23 22:57:51)

Ok, let start from the begining. So did the downloaded file from SuSe Studio match the md5sum f11f16ee56e0e01e25f57443b70874ac ? If it didn't the the download is corrupt and from there you will get further mistakes.  I noticed that sometimes susestudio interupts the download for some reason and I even had to download with a download manager. My USB loads although pretty slow, but it does load. If you can try using the graphical tool (with sudo or root) let it do all the work.