Topic: Terminal Doesn't Work

Every command I've tried to enter into the terminal returns a "command not found" error in both grsec kernel mode and non grsec mode. For instance, I need "paxctl -r /usr/bin/firefox" so that I can run firefox in the hardened grsec kernel patch mode. I may also need to use "setfattr -n user.pax.flags -v "me" /usr/bin/firefox" to enable flash, but I may decide to use HTML5 videos instead of this command.

I will also even need to run "sudo dnscrypt-proxy --daemonize" every time I boot that it is not accepting either. But, in order for it to work if it did accept the command I would need libc6 package, which is not available. Please, upload that package sad . I tried installing "compat" package that is linked to the word "libc6" in the Requires section of the Dependencies menu in the package information for dnscrypt-proxy in the Software Manager, to no avail.

Re: Terminal Doesn't Work

Hi,

Have you tried the commands as root not as sudo? Also we are planing to make some chnages - recently we have problems with tests on grsec - it is possible that we will replace that with AppArmor as it better integrates with the system. I will look into dnscrypt-proxy and will let you know. Thank you for the report.

Yuriy

Alright, I just checked out all of the Gentoo based distros and came up with a list of possible alternatives to gentoo. Besides Sabayon, there are Pentoo that comes with grsec by default, and Calculate that can be used with Calculate Linux Scratch to make a custom live cd; it also has a desktop version. Sabayon is like regular Gentoo in that it is rolling-release-based that is hard for simple desktop users like me, except that its kernels are manually updated to not brake the system for newbies. However, wouldn't manually having to update kernels be just as hard as the situation I'm in now?

I would like your opinion on Pentoo? Perhaps for basing your distro on it? big_smile

Last edited by tau (2012-05-30 23:11:11)

Yesterday I spent my first time comiling a kernel after I patched it for the first time as well, with grsecurity-3.2.18 on my Lubuntu boxen. I succeeded with those steps, but when it came time to make a .deb package that the distro uses because its based on debian the successes I had halted; I was unable to make the kernel a package to install, so I failed.

But, you're right that compilation takes forever; it took my old computer 3 hours, not to mention the other hour or so that it took to almost make a .deb package. I think if I tried it again it might succeed now that I rebooted the machine because I think the problem was just the name I used for the .deb kernel which wasn't supposed to have a period in it. Then, the rest of the attempts failed much sooner in the process before rebooting.

I wonder, did I need to "make config" (or similar) the kernel on NetSecL before rebooting, before loading the grsec kernel with YaST, or at all? Because, I did not know that I was supposed to use that terminal until my attempt to run grsec on Lubuntu.

Taking a long time to compile the kernel is not so bad if you only have to do it once at night--I've found, but you're saying the problem is when we have to update it everytime kernel.org and grsecurity.net comes out with a new stable release, right? I'm not sure--it's not like one has to recompile it everytime someone reboots or anything, right? Recompiling would take place about every few weeks or so, which I don't think is too bad. But, I don't know--wouldn't it still add the time for patching the kernel too? Oh wait, would you be the one which would have to recompile it for the NetSecL users, or something? Or maybe just the patching part? Sorry, for my lack of knowledge with managing distributions. If I can get grsec working, maybe I would want to lend a hand to patch the kernel or compile it for NetSecL, if that was your problem with it. I don't know if I'd have the space with my gmail account to email it to you, though.

Next time I install NetSecL, I'll be sure to look for glibc or that dnscrypt-proxy package you now included, thanks for the heads up. Sorry, I only have one PC I can switch distros with and right now it has Lubuntu, because the only other problem I had with your distro besides dnscrypt-proxy was that I couldn't get any sound out of my speakers. I gotta be able to listen to my videos big_smile . I can post my hardware specs here that I got from a file that YaST produced while I was running NetSecL. But, it would take up several comments--so should I start posting those to see if you can resolve my lack of sound?

About Pentoo, it should be able to support ARM like the computer I may buy when it comes out, because Gentoo is the only linux distro that supports every architecture, including ARM.

Last edited by tau (2012-06-02 00:34:51)

Last edited by tau (2012-06-05 07:58:48)

Last edited by tau (2012-06-06 00:38:51)

Have you checked in Sound as I told you too? Does it display the sound card?
Now that I know the configuration. I don't think there should be a problem with your sound card drivers. It is a standart driver (snd_intel8x0), I guess the sound card is just not configured. If the card is not present in Sound in YaST do this in the terminal as root:
modprobe snd_intel8x0 then go back to Sound.

Btw Started recompiling the kernel with the configuration from pentoo - lets cross fingers. If that works I will cutomize it.

Have tried that, setting to low is also an idea to test. Well I'll try to keep the GrSec but I can't promice anything right now since I have to test how it runs and if it has any issues with the applications smile

Well GrSec is up and running 3.2.19 wink. I found my mistake it was so obvious, that now I wonder how I could not see it. Soon there will be a new version I will run some tests first.

By the way your 3.2.19 kernel is updated enough for me; I'm not braging about my 3.2.21 kernel being so much better than your hard work you put into yours because there's probably no difference in grsec features between the two, just kernel.org features. Going forward, what PAX features did you enable? I could tell you both my grsec and pax features--or at least the ones I did not enable to still give you an idea--that I enabled, if you are interested. I may just tell you anyway, but not now; I'm going to sleep now.

I concur about the ARM architecture not able to run NetSecL, I forgot that fact until after I wrote it, sorry--especially since it could mean the part in our ways. However, grsecurity has recently started to support ARM hardware when Linux started to in the 3.4.x kernel versions. And I don't know exactly what is coming in the next NetSecL, but if you're using the Gentoo based Pentoo as a start, it should support ARM; unless you are just porting the grsecurity feature somehow (without userland if I understand that term correctly, if it is the part that supports different hardware between distros)? That is good Paxctl will be included, I use that a lot lately.

I did mention Raspberry Pi in my post as you should be able to see. However, I also mentioned that it does not have enough RAM for me to desire it. I need at least 512MB and Raspberry Pi only supports up to 256MB. I'm quite fond of Mozilla and I like to use Firefox; Firefox requires 512MB RAM. The VIA chipped APC has enough RAM for my needs and it is only $15 more. Plus, it has all the hardware ports that I enjoy. The only thing greater about the MK802 is that it contains a superior processor and memory. I like small form factors. Of that the MK802 is smaller than the APC, but the difference between the two does not upset me. For either one of them is small enough for me, in my opinion.

Soooooo finally got some time. Sorry for not writing sooner. Well this is only the configuration of the kernel and everything will stay the same, well no quite wink. I had some issues with building other parts of the distribution, BUT out of that something pretty nice happened I began from scratch and the distribution will be availible for 64 bit and yes it will stay based on OpenSuSe (for the moment).

About ARM and Linux - I think Android is a pretty nice OS and maybe building on top of it will be better and have a greater audiance, I already began building some networking tools  for personal use. Time will show lets see.

About your hardware well depends of what is the purpose for it, but I guess it is better you decide. Don't forget the heat factor of the hardware + does it have a case factor smile

I'm going to move the conversation to the general section, I hope you don't mind.