Topic: Terminal Doesn't Work

Every command I've tried to enter into the terminal returns a "command not found" error in both grsec kernel mode and non grsec mode. For instance, I need "paxctl -r /usr/bin/firefox" so that I can run firefox in the hardened grsec kernel patch mode. I may also need to use "setfattr -n user.pax.flags -v "me" /usr/bin/firefox" to enable flash, but I may decide to use HTML5 videos instead of this command.

I will also even need to run "sudo dnscrypt-proxy --daemonize" every time I boot that it is not accepting either. But, in order for it to work if it did accept the command I would need libc6 package, which is not available. Please, upload that package sad . I tried installing "compat" package that is linked to the word "libc6" in the Requires section of the Dependencies menu in the package information for dnscrypt-proxy in the Software Manager, to no avail.

Re: Terminal Doesn't Work

Hi,

Have you tried the commands as root not as sudo? Also we are planing to make some chnages - recently we have problems with tests on grsec - it is possible that we will replace that with AppArmor as it better integrates with the system. I will look into dnscrypt-proxy and will let you know. Thank you for the report.

Yuriy

Hello smile I do not know how to run commands as root without using either sudo or su. I also recently found out that libc6, the package that is missing, also goes by another name: glibc2 or similar that may help your quest to support dnscrypt-proxy.

I use Apparmor with other distributions already. In order to keep using grsec, would your team mind switching to something that supports it? I have checked (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compariso … y_features) and it must have been updated since the latest version of openSUSE was released to show that it no longer supports grsec. The idea is to switch to either Debian/Ubuntu or Gentoo as the last link shows that they support grsec. But, because Gentoo is not user friendly, a more user friendly "Gentoo-Derived Distribution" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gentoo_Linux#See_also) (e.g. Sabayon) could channel the Hardened Gentoo feature containing grsec, out of the box.

My issue is that I do not really know which instructions for patching grsec I should learn to follow. Is it the instruction for using the patch tool or quilt? The instruction with quilt said it is easier than patch, but I counted their steps and they have about the same amount. Or should I choose the option to follow some instructions for creating a .deb package to apply the grsec patch? As I switched back to using Lubuntu that uses .deb packages after the bugs, or incompetence on my part, I encountered with your distro.

All I'm saying is grsec provides more security than Apparmor. By the way, is grsec as easy as Apparmor? And I know how to install new distros, but I don't know how to install the grsec patch. So, what I found great about your distro is that it is aimed for desktop users (e.g. not just servers like Alpine linux that supports grsec by default) and I was able to use grsec with little more effort (i.e. through YaST's boot manager) than merely installing the distro. So, please support an iso with grsec by default. Configuring it with "make xconfig" seems easy enough for me to do on my own, rather seems like the hardest way I want to have to apply myself to accomplish the task--without so many terminal commands. Really, the only other thing that would make your distribution different than others without grsec would be that it comes preloaded with so many hacking tools that I don't need sad .

Alright, I just checked out all of the Gentoo based distros and came up with a list of possible alternatives to gentoo. Besides Sabayon, there are Pentoo that comes with grsec by default, and Calculate that can be used with Calculate Linux Scratch to make a custom live cd; it also has a desktop version. Sabayon is like regular Gentoo in that it is rolling-release-based that is hard for simple desktop users like me, except that its kernels are manually updated to not brake the system for newbies. However, wouldn't manually having to update kernels be just as hard as the situation I'm in now?

I would like your opinion on Pentoo? Perhaps for basing your distro on it? big_smile

Last edited by tau (2012-05-30 23:11:11)

This doesn't quite solve the issues that we currently have with grsec. Compiling the new kernel versions of grsec are soooooo slow in our enviornment that we would rather give it up. Since the gcc-plugins are included the compilation time dramaticly increesed. However everyone can compile manually for themselves if they wish to or we can ship an older kernel that does support grsec this is not a problem. Hardened Guentoo is not that recent as far as I know.

I like your enthusiasm smile.  But even if we change the base of the system the problems with the kernel will remain when we try to tweek and customize it. You can have a look at this kernel or better at the configuration since we didn't get it stable:
http://rsync.netsecl.com/index.php?dir=beta

About the security in the distro we are thinking of variants besides AppArmor and maybe reversing back to an older kernel for the grsec this would be a solution, but not permanent.

Yuriy

About the dnscrypt-proxy I think it just needs recompilation and this will fix the problem the RPM is not build for OpenSuse. This is fixable smile. See here:
https://github.com/opendns/dnscrypt-proxy/issues/11

Yuriy

Hi again,

Try this binary it should work just extract it in /  as root:
http://rsync.netsecl.com/beta/opendnscr … bin.tar.gz
I encluded it in the latest version of NetSecL

Yuriy

Hello,

about the kernel I will try the configuration of pentoo - this mightfinally work - lets see.
https://pentoo.googlecode.com/svn/livec … fig-3.2.11

Yuriy

Yesterday I spent my first time comiling a kernel after I patched it for the first time as well, with grsecurity-3.2.18 on my Lubuntu boxen. I succeeded with those steps, but when it came time to make a .deb package that the distro uses because its based on debian the successes I had halted; I was unable to make the kernel a package to install, so I failed.

But, you're right that compilation takes forever; it took my old computer 3 hours, not to mention the other hour or so that it took to almost make a .deb package. I think if I tried it again it might succeed now that I rebooted the machine because I think the problem was just the name I used for the .deb kernel which wasn't supposed to have a period in it. Then, the rest of the attempts failed much sooner in the process before rebooting.

I wonder, did I need to "make config" (or similar) the kernel on NetSecL before rebooting, before loading the grsec kernel with YaST, or at all? Because, I did not know that I was supposed to use that terminal until my attempt to run grsec on Lubuntu.

Taking a long time to compile the kernel is not so bad if you only have to do it once at night--I've found, but you're saying the problem is when we have to update it everytime kernel.org and grsecurity.net comes out with a new stable release, right? I'm not sure--it's not like one has to recompile it everytime someone reboots or anything, right? Recompiling would take place about every few weeks or so, which I don't think is too bad. But, I don't know--wouldn't it still add the time for patching the kernel too? Oh wait, would you be the one which would have to recompile it for the NetSecL users, or something? Or maybe just the patching part? Sorry, for my lack of knowledge with managing distributions. If I can get grsec working, maybe I would want to lend a hand to patch the kernel or compile it for NetSecL, if that was your problem with it. I don't know if I'd have the space with my gmail account to email it to you, though.

Next time I install NetSecL, I'll be sure to look for glibc or that dnscrypt-proxy package you now included, thanks for the heads up. Sorry, I only have one PC I can switch distros with and right now it has Lubuntu, because the only other problem I had with your distro besides dnscrypt-proxy was that I couldn't get any sound out of my speakers. I gotta be able to listen to my videos big_smile . I can post my hardware specs here that I got from a file that YaST produced while I was running NetSecL. But, it would take up several comments--so should I start posting those to see if you can resolve my lack of sound?

About Pentoo, it should be able to support ARM like the computer I may buy when it comes out, because Gentoo is the only linux distro that supports every architecture, including ARM.

Last edited by tau (2012-06-02 00:34:51)

> I wonder, did I need to "make config" (or similar) the kernel on NetSecL before rebooting, before loading the grsec kernel with YaST, or at all? Because, I did not know that I was supposed to use that terminal until my attempt to run grsec on Lubuntu.

You mean the compiled kernel that is shipped with the distribution? Nothing more is needed follow the installation manual:
http://rsync.netsecl.com/NetSecL_release.pdf

But if you make your own kernel - compile it, you then use make install it will copy it to /boot/ and the modules will be copied to /lib/modules .... If you make a package debian package or rpm there is a make command in the kernel make file.

Well the poblem is that the current kernel configuration that we have for some reason does not work at all not in VM or PC. And compilation time is way longer than 3 h , for the moment I just guess where the problem might be. I also asked for help from grsecurity, but even they
didn't tell me where the problem is, since the kernel boots and then no signs of any errors just a black screen. I suppose that the issue has to do with something other than grsecurity that's why it is so complicated to find the source of the problem.

I assemble the whole distribution this means packaging, kernel and everything related to it.Since I use SuSe Studion my life got a bit easier smile, the other colleague maintains the website and servers related to the website. We don't have an active comunity as you see, but I hope this will change in time and even we could grow the team with active users like you.

About your sound problem. Some questions:
What is your sound card model?
What is the chipset of the mainboard?
Do you have the sound working on other linux distributions? If yes give me the output of the lsmod command from terminal.

I think this will be enough as information so we can check what the issue is.

Yuriy

netseclteam wrote:

>
But if you make your own kernel - compile it, you then use make install it will copy it to /boot/ and the modules will be copied to /lib/modules .... If you make a package debian package or rpm there is a make command in the kernel make file.

Well the poblem is that the current kernel configuration that we have for some reason does not work at all not in VM or PC. And compilation time is way longer than 3 h , for the moment I just guess where the problem might be. I also asked for help from grsecurity, but even they
didn't tell me where the problem is, since the kernel boots and then no signs of any errors just a black screen. I suppose that the issue has to do with something other than grsecurity that's why it is so complicated to find the source of the problem.

I had the same blank screen problem yesterday, but today I got grsec up and running; custom configured to enable firefox with MPROTECT. The problem we have was, for me, because I followed the terminal commands from a third-party website, instead of straight from (https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikibooks/ … grsecurity) that is the proxy Documentation link from grsecurity.net. Plus, with the problem I also accidentally deleted the file /lib/firmware/3com/3C359.bin instead of uninstalling the linux-firmware package before #dpkg -i *.deb, in the /usr/src directory after the compilation through #fakeroot make deb-pkg, made the .deb packages into /usr/src.

I looked through all of the options for High Level security during #make menuconfig, and wrote down all of the ones that were not marked. Then, when I set it to Custom Level I marked all of the ones that I didn't write down. Plus the configuration parameters needed to run xorg server (PAX_NOEXEC unmarked) and then after I exited and saved #make menuconfig, and before I started compilation, I installed paxctl and ran this code #paxctl -c /usr/lib/firefox/firefox, in order to add Firefox's binary to grsec headers and then #paxctl -r /usr/lib/firefox/firefox, for firefox to avoid an infinite while loop at startup (startup of just firefox or the whole system, which might even be why we saw a blank screen then, I don't know which?).

Then, instead of disabling MPROTECT I added these lines to /home/user_name_bar/.mozilla/firefox/bar.default/prefs.js, while firefox is closed (or else changes to the file will be overwritten):

user_pref("javascript.options.jit.chrome", false);
user_pref("javascript.options.jit.contents", false);

Preferably alphabetically wink , because the rest of the list was. This just causes to not use websites with just-in-time compilation, instead of everything with flash.

netseclteam wrote:

>
I assemble the whole distribution this means packaging, kernel and everything related to it.Since I use SuSe Studion my life got a bit easier smile, the other colleague maintains the website and servers related to the website. We don't have an active comunity as you see, but I hope this will change in time and even we could grow the team with active users like you.

I hear you on the SuSe Studio, man. I think have an idea of how long it can take for some of these things and anything that makes it easier for the developer is all good in my book.

Note: I'm going to answer the sound card part of your post in a separate post of my own.

Last edited by tau (2012-06-05 07:58:48)

netseclteam wrote:

>
About your sound problem. Some questions:
What is your sound card model?
What is the chipset of the mainboard?
Do you have the sound working on other linux distributions? If yes give me the output of the lsmod command from terminal.

I think this will be enough as information so we can check what the issue is.

Yuriy

My "audio adapter" (which is sound card model, right?) is NFORCE NVidia - nForce2

For a while I was focused on the "mainboard" part of your next question, instead of "chipset" smile . So, I was looking for the model of my motherboard, instead of CPU! lol Anyway, Name: AMD Athlon 3200+. Family, model, stepping: 6, 10, 0 (AMD Athlon XP/MP (Barton)). Cache size: 512kb. Frequency: 2200.00MHz.

Yes, I do get audio on Ubuntu and Lubuntu. Although, while I was Beta testing Ubuntu 12.04, the audio did not work, so after debugging one bug for a bug report, uninstalled it and went back to 11.10. But, by the time 12.04 was released and I upgraded, the sound worked. Though, the difference was the sound worked with upgraded release and not fresh install upgrade, I believe. Either way, I freshly installed Lubuntu 12.04 and the sound even works with it smile .

#lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by
dm_crypt               14707  1
snd_intel8x0           26071  1
snd_ac97_codec         99822  1 snd_intel8x0
ac97_bus                1516  1 snd_ac97_codec
snd_pcm                75806  2 snd_intel8x0,snd_ac97_codec
snd_seq_midi            5014  0
ip6t_LOG                7557  5
snd_rawmidi            19748  1 snd_seq_midi
nf_conntrack_ipv6       6295  5
nf_defrag_ipv6          5911  1 nf_conntrack_ipv6
xt_hl                   1483  6
ip6t_rt                 2343  3
snd_seq_midi_event      6545  1 snd_seq_midi
ipt_REJECT              2535  1
snd_seq                54425  2 snd_seq_midi,snd_seq_midi_event
ipt_LOG                 7274  6
xt_limit                2007  14
xt_tcpudp               2485  38
xt_state                1516  10
xt_addrtype             2869  4
ip6table_filter         1809  1
snd_timer              20541  2 snd_pcm,snd_seq
snd_seq_device          5947  3 snd_seq_midi,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq
ip6_tables             14390  3 ip6t_LOG,ip6t_rt,ip6table_filter
nf_conntrack_netbios_ns     1487  0
nf_conntrack_broadcast     1493  1 nf_conntrack_netbios_ns
rfcomm                 32781  0
nf_nat_ftp              1906  0
nf_nat                 15646  1 nf_nat_ftp
nf_conntrack_ipv4      11475  7 nf_nat
nf_defrag_ipv4          1735  1 nf_conntrack_ipv4
bnep                   10957  2
snd                    58688  9 snd_intel8x0,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq,snd_timer,snd_seq_device
nf_conntrack_ftp        5915  1 nf_nat_ftp
nf_conntrack           65151  8 nf_conntrack_ipv6,xt_state,nf_conntrack_netbios_ns,nf_conntrack_broadcast,nf_nat_ftp,nf_nat,nf_conntrack_ipv4,nf_conntrack_ftp
bluetooth             148432  8 rfcomm,bnep
psmouse                68540  0
iptable_filter          1868  1
ip_tables              12722  1 iptable_filter
x_tables               15766  13 ip6t_LOG,xt_hl,ip6t_rt,ipt_REJECT,ipt_LOG,xt_limit,xt_tcpudp,xt_state,xt_addrtype,ip6table_filter,ip6_tables,iptable_filter,ip_tables
soundcore               6937  1 snd
serio_raw               4245  0
shpchp                 24434  0
snd_page_alloc          7650  2 snd_intel8x0,snd_pcm
ppdev                   8123  0
parport_pc             24794  1
i2c_nforce2             5227  0
mac_hid                 3527  0
lp                      8785  0
parport                33412  3 ppdev,parport_pc,lp
usb_storage            33615  0
uas                     7439  0
nouveau               690346  2
usbhid                 37599  0
ttm                    58403  1 nouveau
drm_kms_helper         29041  1 nouveau
hid                    74205  1 usbhid
drm                   194605  4 nouveau,ttm,drm_kms_helper
firewire_ohci          29095  0
i2c_algo_bit            5324  1 nouveau
mxm_wmi                 2033  1 nouveau
forcedeth              49726  0
wmi                     9032  1 mxm_wmi
video                  11606  1 nouveau
firewire_core          52206  1 firewire_ohci
crc_itu_t               1803  1 firewire_core
pata_amd                9268  2
floppy                 54031  0

Ok, Go to System>Administration>YaST>Sound if there is a sound card click edit and configure it <- this as far as I tested can be done automatically. Then go to Sound&Video>Mixer>Select Controls choose master and PCM -  adjust the volume. Test the sound if it works try rebooting and test again. This should do the trick.

Btw Chipset is a part of your mainboard - it is not CPU: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chipset

Don't you hate it when you were right the first time? Well, I couldn't find chipset specs on my desktop, so I looked up my model number with the distributor (I don't think HP is a manufacturer, so I chose this word), because I know that the motherboard is the same one that was shipped in the HP tower chassis. As you can see here (http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/docu … r1002_usen) my chipset is nForce2-IGP. I only added more RAM and replaced my DVD player, but the rest of the specs listed there should be accurate.

Last edited by tau (2012-06-06 00:38:51)

Have you checked in Sound as I told you too? Does it display the sound card?
Now that I know the configuration. I don't think there should be a problem with your sound card drivers. It is a standart driver (snd_intel8x0), I guess the sound card is just not configured. If the card is not present in Sound in YaST do this in the terminal as root:
modprobe snd_intel8x0 then go back to Sound.

Btw Started recompiling the kernel with the configuration from pentoo - lets cross fingers. If that works I will cutomize it.

I'm sorry, I thought I told you I stopped using NetSecL. I got grsec working on a different distribution, Ubuntu based. Even though I did say that the only thing holding me back from using NetSecL was the sound not working after you resolved the dnscrypt-proxy issue, I now have a more up to date grsec kernel working than NetSecL currently provides. Because I tried NetSecL just to be able to use grsec, I can't switch to it now, knowing that it took me long enough to get a more up to date version working despite it and to abandon the newer grsec version to an older one doesn't make sense to me. I'm still interested in the NetSecL the project, because I wouldn't have to do the time precious compiling, so let me know how well your compilation goes for grsec with Pentoo and NetSecL? Make sure you disable non-executable pages (https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikibooks/ … ings#X.org) so that you can view more than a blank screen smile . I found that in order to be able to turn off that feature, you may need to set the preconfigured option to Custom, instead of High, Medium, or Low. I believe that is how I fixed the issue when I ran into a blank screen on startup as well.

Have tried that, setting to low is also an idea to test. Well I'll try to keep the GrSec but I can't promice anything right now since I have to test how it runs and if it has any issues with the applications smile

Ya, I just needed some hand holding until I learned how to do grsecurity on my own.

Because you already tried disabling non-executable pages, perhaps it is a deeper problem with OpenSUSE itself, like the wikipedia article comparison of linux distros says in its security section that OpenSUSE does not support grsec at all, while Debian/Ubuntu permit it optionally (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compariso … y_features). Therefore, if you are going to keep using OpenSUSE, I'm going to have to part ways, sorry about this, man. It was just a matter of time anyway because I'm going to be using a new ARM based computer soon and OpenSUSE neither supports its architecture (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compariso … re_support). If you are going to keep going with OpenSUSE, I'll suggest (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NX_bit#Linux) that I saw mentioned in the former link. Why don't you switch to Ubuntu, or even Lubuntu to keep the same desktop environment (LXDE) as NetSecL's current one. Then run a custom kernel by default and compile it for everyone with a PPA software source channel to update it for them regularly too? I've got it running fine (except I don't have flash running for the web, yet wink . I think in order to I need to steal Chrome's flash plugin and put it into the directory that Firefox uses it for. I've done it before, but I haven't tried it yet with grsec.) and I'm sure Ubuntu has much of the same software available that other distros such as OpenSUSE contain which you need (e.g. the hacking tools that come with NetSecL).

>I'm going to be using a new ARM based computer

Well if you use android on it smile At leas I can win you for my android game:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta … l.stanchev

Well GrSec is up and running 3.2.19 wink. I found my mistake it was so obvious, that now I wonder how I could not see it. Soon there will be a new version I will run some tests first.

Well, I already have an Android phone I could play it on. But, I digress. For one, I'm not a gamer. For two, I'm not competitive. However, I have enjoyed the conversations we've had (ie my form of gaming--it's fun), sorry. If I get a chance, I'll recommend it wink .

I myself must have installed grsec dozens of times by now--trying to get the pax configuration just right and I'm finally settled. I also updated the Documentation smile . That was me! I was really annoyed after reading it so many times with the installations that I decided to update it with the information I learned which is needed to get it running. My version right now happens to be 3.2.21 from doing it today a couple times. Yesterday, I think I did it three times. Before that was just more on and on droning away. I actually felt relaxed when I took a break from it. It's the most peace I've felt in a long time because it wore me out big_smile . Compiling three times a day will do that to you lol . I actually got it to work with non-executable pages because I realised that I have a new enough version of xorg that I can enable it. And you're right, it does take longer than 3 hours to compile, specifically with the non-executable pages feature enabled. This time it took me 3hrs:54min with that feature included.

I'm actually on the fense about which computer I should buy. I know it's not Raspberry Pi. I'm looking at NeoITX APC (http://apc.io/), MiniAnd MK802 (https://www.miniand.com/), or FXI-Tech Cotton Candy (http://www.fxitech.com/). I love the numerous connectors available with the APC (eg I have a monitor with a VGA port), the RAM is actually enough for me while running Lubuntu--unlike the Raspberry PI--and it is the cheapest of those options. I've got the money for the Cotton Candy, but spending anything above $100 dollars for a computer doesn't make sense to me. And the MK802 is still the right price, but for twice as much as the APC for twice as much RAM with fewer connections ports; oh yeah, and a processor that is almost twice as fast. The great thing about having one of these PCs is that I will be able to swap out OSes like I can swap out miniSD cards. Allowing me to try out multiple OSes (eg NetSecL) anytime. Maybe I should get both the MiniAnd and NeoITX? I gotta ask you, does the NeoITX look like a scam to you? I get that feeling, I just haven't heard that much about it from trustable sources. Though the NeoITX is mentioned on the mini-itx.com website and FXI-tech is backed by the investors of major tech giants like Google and Facebook when they were just startup companies.

Another time this web forum logged me out as I attempt to post. I read a slashdot interview (https://www.linuxquestions.org/question … re-949029/) recently with the Slackware founder and he said moving his OS's forum to LinuxQuestions.org was one of the best decisions he made as a distro maintainer because it freed so much time to use for the OS instead of administrating the website yikes .

By the way your 3.2.19 kernel is updated enough for me; I'm not braging about my 3.2.21 kernel being so much better than your hard work you put into yours because there's probably no difference in grsec features between the two, just kernel.org features. Going forward, what PAX features did you enable? I could tell you both my grsec and pax features--or at least the ones I did not enable to still give you an idea--that I enabled, if you are interested. I may just tell you anyway, but not now; I'm going to sleep now.

Well about the hardware - ARM architecture shouldn't be able to boot NetSecL. About the hardware that uses VIA chip it should be possible but that would, mean reconstructing the whole system from ground up since VIA is not exactly 686, but more 486 - and is an old chip as far as I see - not good. MiniAnd MK802 seams resonable choice, but there is chepear hardware if we are talking about hardware for a simple linux OS like this one http://www.raspberrypi.org/

About the features I am still testing, unfortunately it seems that VM tests are running quite slow and I will be testing GrSecurity on real hardware. The GrSecurity options are the same as in the Pentoo configuration:
https://pentoo.googlecode.com/svn/livec … fig-3.2.11

Paxctl, chpax and Gradm will be also included.

I concur about the ARM architecture not able to run NetSecL, I forgot that fact until after I wrote it, sorry--especially since it could mean the part in our ways. However, grsecurity has recently started to support ARM hardware when Linux started to in the 3.4.x kernel versions. And I don't know exactly what is coming in the next NetSecL, but if you're using the Gentoo based Pentoo as a start, it should support ARM; unless you are just porting the grsecurity feature somehow (without userland if I understand that term correctly, if it is the part that supports different hardware between distros)? That is good Paxctl will be included, I use that a lot lately.

I did mention Raspberry Pi in my post as you should be able to see. However, I also mentioned that it does not have enough RAM for me to desire it. I need at least 512MB and Raspberry Pi only supports up to 256MB. I'm quite fond of Mozilla and I like to use Firefox; Firefox requires 512MB RAM. The VIA chipped APC has enough RAM for my needs and it is only $15 more. Plus, it has all the hardware ports that I enjoy. The only thing greater about the MK802 is that it contains a superior processor and memory. I like small form factors. Of that the MK802 is smaller than the APC, but the difference between the two does not upset me. For either one of them is small enough for me, in my opinion.

Soooooo finally got some time. Sorry for not writing sooner. Well this is only the configuration of the kernel and everything will stay the same, well no quite wink. I had some issues with building other parts of the distribution, BUT out of that something pretty nice happened I began from scratch and the distribution will be availible for 64 bit and yes it will stay based on OpenSuSe (for the moment).

About ARM and Linux - I think Android is a pretty nice OS and maybe building on top of it will be better and have a greater audiance, I already began building some networking tools  for personal use. Time will show lets see.

About your hardware well depends of what is the purpose for it, but I guess it is better you decide. Don't forget the heat factor of the hardware + does it have a case factor smile

I'm going to move the conversation to the general section, I hope you don't mind.