Topic: What is your hardware?

If you are running NetSecL or if you have problems running it - we would like to know what hardware you are using

Re: What is your hardware?

I have installed NetSecL on an older laptop - Dell Latitude CPx 650J (P3, 650 Mhz, 128 Mb RAM, 4 GB HD).
The system installed fine and is running.

I want to add a D-link Wireless card (WNA-1330) to the computer so I can get online with the laptop, but the card is not being detected.

Can you help me configure this?
Thanks
X

Sure I'll help you smile. Just let me search and I will get back to you on this smile. Give me the the output of lsmod and ifconfig.

Ok,
For now I think madwifi will do the trick
http://madwifi.org/wiki/Compatibility/D-Link

I will try to find also other solutions to this.

And here is another solution, very good described should also work with your wireless
http://www.bryson.co.nz/files/ndiswrapper.html

But madwifi should do the work, I have tried to compile it but since I have 64 bit machine there are problems - which should not be a problem for you since your is old one.

ndiswrapper is included in NetSecL 2.3

I used the Save to File option for Hardware Information tool in YaST Control Center and its contents are too long to paste here. Should I send it to NetSecL's email? Would support@netsecl.com be the right one?

tau wrote:

I used the Save to File option for Hardware Information tool in YaST Control Center and its contents are too long to paste here. Should I send it to NetSecL's email? Would support@netsecl.com be the right one?

Oh yes, and I'm planning on getting a new computer in a few months. I want Cotton Candy by FXI Tech. But, it's ARM architecture. Any chance of a new release for NetSecL that supports ARM? I hear grsec supports a new kernel (3.2 I believe) which supports ARM. The next NetSecL version should use this, please?

No, unfortunately we will not support ARM. But if susestudio makes a port of their OS to ARM we will also make recompile the tools to ARM. There are possibilities like running inside qemu, but I haven't tried that on ARM it will be most probably slow.