Topic: bootloader ?

Hello everybody,

My HD has several (3) linux distros already installed and they all boot from the boot sector of the first partition from /boot/grub/menu.lst. since NetSecL uses lilo as the bootloader, if I install it on say partition sda7, will I be able to not install lilo ? Also what entries would I use for /boot/grub/menu.lst , so NetSecL will boot from grub ?

ie of menu.lst entries
     title = ?
     root = ?
     kernel = ?

I look forward to checking out this interesting distro.

Re: bootloader ?

Hi smile,

Yeap you can skip lilo installation - you'll be asked for that after all packages are installed. Can you paste here the other entries of your grub?

Yuriy

Sure...

title        #!CRUNCHBANG
uuid        6ded8f51-902b-413d-b289-f7f36177def3
kernel        /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.27-11-generic root=UUID=6ded8f51-902b-413d-b289-f7f36177def3 ro quiet splash
initrd        /boot/initrd.img-2.6.27-11-generic
quiet

# This is a divider, added to separate the menu items below from the Debian
# ones.

title       VectorLinux 6.0
root        (hd0,4)
kernel      (hd0,4)/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.27.29 root=/dev/hda5 vga=791 splash=silent ro
initrd      (hd0,4)/boot/initrd
boot

title       LinuxMint 7.0 xfce
root        (hd0,5)
kernel      /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.28-11-generic root=/dev/sda6 ro quiet splash
initrd      /boot/initrd.img-2.6.28-11-generic   
boot

Hi,

Well I think it should look like this:
title       NetSecL
root        (hd0,6)
kernel      (hd0,6)/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda7 ro quiet splash
boot

Try and tell me how it goes.

Yuriy

Your suggested entries for /boot/grub/menu.lst, worked!
Was able to NOT install LILO after choosing during initial installation; SELECT PROMPTING MODE > chose expert > then unchecked LILO . Wasn't sure if the FULL install option would have allowed me to deselect LILO, so went the mentioned route.

Booted into a lovely desktop.  smile

Hi,

Great. About netconfig you mean a shortcut? We might have something graphical in 2.5, but let's see. Open a console and then yell the command smile - that's for now.

Yuriy

Hey, I think you're really onto something BIG with a voice activated command prompt. Do you think it may be ready for the next release ? HA-HA.

netconfig - just needed some love there as was uncertain about necessary parameters All is well. Now for those arcane applications.

Not any time soon, but good idea if I begin to get lazy to type smile.